Web design is a vast field of knowledge that requires many years of learning. In this article we will not teach you HTML or PHP, but will tell you what technologies are currently used on websites. We will also show you how you can create a professional website without having it done by a company. Although creating a website from scratch is very difficult, thanks to ready-made solutions you can become a website owner much easier.
One of the first decisions to be made before starting the realization of a website is to choose between a static page in HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and a page based on CMS (Content Management System). Pages in HTML are currently a rarity. Even if you are building a simple website, you will probably opt for a CMS. However, it is worth remembering that hypertext markup language has many advantages.
A website created using it:
- It does not require a database,
- It charges quickly and is efficient,
- It is very easy to make backups,
- will not overload the server, even if it is visited by a very large number of users,
- No motor or module updates are required.
However, such a service is associated with many limitations. These include the lack of an admin panel or the need to make manual changes to the page code, which requires at least basic knowledge of HTML. Meanwhile, in the case of websites based on the CMS system you get unlimited possibilities to change the appearance of the site, you can use ready-made modules, which are often available for free.
Website builder and a CMS system
These options differ primarily in the maximum number of subpages that the service can have and the ability to add your own HTML/CSS code. On the page you can configure comments, insert music and video. You can also integrate the service with social media channels. You have the possibility to change templates and check in preview mode beforehand if it is a good choice. Using the web wizard is a convenient solution, thanks to which you can set up a website that meets your expectations really quickly.
A website based on the CMS system also does not require programming knowledge, as long as you use ready-made solutions. In all our hosting packages you will find a CMS installer. It is a program for creating websites, thanks to which you can set up a website in a minute, without programming knowledge. The principle of this solution is very simple.
To install the site:
- Log in to the administration panel.
- Find the “Applications” option.
- Select the application you want to install.
- On the next screen you will see basic information about the application.
- Choose the name of the website where you want to install the application.
- On the next screen you will see information about the requirements of the application – if met, you can go further.
- Fill in the form. Most often you will need to provide the administrator’s data, contact details, page title.
- Ready. You can log in to the page, choose a template, enter content and perform many other operations.
Designing websites – basic rules
The ready-made solutions are optimized, so they usually do not require any special modifications. Remember, however, that the service should be improved, taking into account the needs of the user, not the owner.
Stick to the following rules:
- Create a simple and useful menu – a creative menu may look interesting, but it may make it difficult for the user to use the site.
- Bet on simplicity – the user does not expect exceptional decorations from you.
- Choose simple graphics – graphics are one of the elements of a website, but not the main one.
- The appearance of the service – should be consistent with the brand.
- Use simple and suggestive icons
- Place more space – there should be a free field between individual elements of the page, so that users do not have too many behavioral paths in a given place.
- Simple forms – do not expect users to fill out complicated forms. Also make sure that they do not have any doubts as to how to complete them.
- Avoid large blocks of text – they look unattractive and quickly tires your eyesight. Choose fonts that make the text easy and pleasant to read.
- Add your search engine in a perfectly visible place – do not hide it at the bottom of the page. It should be very visible.
Web design by professionals
The popularity of WordPress, which is used by more than 60 percent of all services running on CMS, has caused many companies to create projects based on this solution. However, this does not change the fact that the creation of a website requires extensive knowledge and most often it requires the participation of several specialists in the process.
To create a professional website from scratch, you need to know:
- HTML5 – markup language. With its help you create the backbone of the website.
- CSS – style sheets. They describe the appearance of individual HTML elements, including their color, width or height.
- PHP – a scripting programming language.
- Graphic programs – most popular are Corel and Photoshop.
- MYSQL – database support.
Depending on the project, knowledge of other technologies may be necessary, but most often different specialists deal with particular tasks. The process of creating websites is complicated, but thanks to ready-made solutions you can also become an owner of a professional website.